Disability Employment Awareness Month (DEAM) is an annual awareness campaign that takes place each October. The purpose of Disability Employment Awareness Month is to promote employment inclusion for people with disabilities and celebrate the many and varied contributions of workers with disabilities. NDEAM (a federal initiative celebrated in the U.S. every October since 1945), is gaining traction in Canada with a number of provinces proclaiming October as Disability Employment Month. Reflecting this year’s theme, (Inclusive Workplace Cultures), CASE will be engaging in a variety of promotional activities to raise public awareness of disability employment issues and the role that everyone plays in fostering a disability-friendly work culture. We want to spread the important message that a strong workforce is one inclusive of the skills and talents of all individuals, including people with disabilities. CASE sees DEAM as an excellent opportunity for Employment Service Providers and Canadian Employers to demonstrate their ongoing commitment to Canadians with disabilities and to help promote employment inclusion in our country.
DEAM in the News
“I am excited by the progress we are making to improve the lives of Canadians with disabilities. We are working hard to ensure all Canadians have equal access and opportunities in their communities and workplace. An inclusive Canada is good for employers and good for business, and by working together, I know we can improve the lives of all Canadians.”
– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
Please join us in helping to promote and celebrate Disability Employment Awareness month. Help educate Canadian Business, Employers and Human Resource professionals about disability employment issues and strategies to foster disability-friendly work cultures. Collaborate with other organizations! Promote and celebrate DEAM in your community through any or all of the following strategies,
- Organize a Disability Employment Awareness Month ‘Kickoff’ Ceremony with proclamations from representatives of the province or municipality. Involve employers who’ve experienced success with employment inclusion – have them speak about that success.
- Coordinate a Job Fair to bring together business leaders invested in diversity and inclusion – and talented job-seekers.
- Organize a presentation at a local Service Club or local Chamber of Commerce to help employers build their capacity for inclusive recruitment.
- Hold a Cash-Mob! Converge at an inclusive business and greet customers, tell them about employment inclusion and the employer’s commitment to diversity. Encourage customers to spend $20 more than they had intended. Reward Inclusion!
- Issue a press release about DEAM and what your organization does to support employment inclusion for people with disabilities in your community. Celebrate your work!
- Host a Mentor-Ability Day to give local employers an inclusive workplace experience.
- Send your DEAM news and events to CASE so we can help promote you on social media!
The Canadian Association for Supported Employment is proud to promote and celebrate Disability Employment Awareness Month. Please help us spread the important message that a strong workforce is one inclusive of the skills and talents of all individuals, including individuals with disabilities. Please click the links below in order to help you plan an event to recognize Disability Employment Awareness Month throughout Canada!